Roberto Menghi (19202006)
Roberto Menghi graduated from the Politecnico di Milano in 1944. He was immediately called on to play his part in the Second World War and after the Armistice, his opposition to the setting up of the Italian Social Republic led to his internment in a concentration camp in Czestochowa. Once freed, he opened his own design studio in his home city, where he worked in architectural, interior and industrial design. He received the Gran Premio award in the Glass and Design Section of the Triennale twice and also received two Compasso d’Oro awards for design. Some of his designs were made for Fontana Arte. These include the Globo di luce lamps, which were first produced in 1968. In the field of architecture he devoted himself to the refurbishment of buildings with special artistic interest, such as Palazzo dei Giureconsulti in Milan. He taught Architecture at Venice and Milan Universities and Design at the Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti in Milan and the Academy of Bath.