Luigi Caccia Dominioni (19132016)
Born into a noble family in Milan, Caccia Dominioni graduated from the Politecnico di Milano in 1936 before opening a studio with two fellow-students, Livio and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni. He was in the Italian army during the Second World War, but when the puppet Republic of Salò was established in 1943, he refused to recognise it and fled to Switzerland.
After the war he returned to Milan and started a new company, Azucena, which designed both furniture and furnishings such as door-handles and lamps, with Corrado Corradi Dell'Acqua and Ignazio Gardella. Caccia Dominioni also designed many buildings in Milan, notably overseeing the internal restructuring of the Biblioteca and the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana. In the field of Industrial design he was considered a pioneer when he presented a series of radios designed with the Castiglioni brothers at the VII Triennial in Milan. The 'Caccia' cutlery he designed is on at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. His designs are highly sought after for their architectural beauty.